Jerusalem municipality and its mayor, Mr. Nir Barkat, have set a goal to place Jerusalem as one of the major worldwide marathon cities such as Berlin, New York, London, Paris, etc.
The running trend has spread in Israel, in the last few years – Tiberius marathon, Tel-Aviv marathon, Nike run and many more. This trend leads to a growing interest from the media but also sets a media coverage competition between the different runs. One other aspect was the novelty of the Jerusalem marathon – on the one hand causing a lot of interest from the media and on the other hand was full of difficult organizational and media challenges. Yet another aspect was that the older and more known Tel Aviv marathon was two weeks later, which made the challenge ever bigger.
1. Positioning Jerusalem marathon as the most significant marathon in Israel
2. Using the marathon to leverage Jerusalem as a leading sports and culture city
3. Exposing the marathon to the public to get thousands of runners to participate
4. Positioning the marathon as an international marathon.
5. Branding mayor Barkat as a modern and liberal mayor who promotes sports and gives personal example.
1. Professional runners – The first time there is an opportunity to run in Jerusalem
2. Amateur runners – mostly for the shorter runs
3. General audience – leveraging the city’s reputation as a leading sport and culture city
4. Decision makers in sports (government and sponsors) that will increase the support and will make the marathon a tradition